Direct Payment Agreements

You can then request a direct payment from the city council or trust or you can ask them to arrange the help yourself. A direct payment is the amount of money that the city council or trust must pay to meet your needs or those of the person you are caring for. It is provided for you or to enable you to acquire the services necessary to meet your support needs and/or their care needs (as assessed by the city council/trust). If the person you are caring for directly employs a caregiver (even if they are a family member or friend), they are responsible for an employer. If the person to be assessed has no mental capacity or has intellectual abilities, but is not able to manage a direct payment, a person may be appointed to manage the direct payment on their behalf. Sometimes other organizations charge extra money to arrange Council payments. You can also request direct payments from the social service of your municipal council. The community must be satisfied that payments will be made to the care agreed to in your care plan. You can offer a list of available authorized providers, but you can use other providers and other types of services if they meet your care needs. If the local authority decides that you cannot handle direct payments, it can provide services directly if there is no one near you to take over the administration. Or, if you don`t have to spend the full amount, because your condition is temporarily improving, or if you go to the hospital, they may have to reduce your payments.

For example, Disability Rights UK provides advice on direct payments and employing a carer. Visit the Disability Rights UK website or call the helpline on 0330 995 0404. The Board may ask you to sign a document called a direct payment agreement. That said: however, if the person you are caring for paid with their direct payments, you or someone else, it would be considered “income” and could impact all the benefits that you or someone else who is paid. If you cannot manage your direct payments yourself or designate another person, another person can apply to become an authorized person. It can be a friend or family member. You will then manage your direct payments on your behalf. The local authority monitors how you use payments, for example through an annual check. Remember to keep receipts to show how you spent the payments. If you opt for direct payments, the Council will send you the money in your personal budget: instead of getting support arranged by your council or trust, you have the option to select and purchase the services you need, as agreed by them. For example, you might want to hire someone directly to help you manage the care of the person caring for you.

You can also consider someone else handling your direct payments, for example.B. a friend or family member….